Once the first album was done I felt a great sense of liberation. And even in the finishing stages I already earmarked several tracks for the second album. I promised myself that I would enjoy making the second album without any added pressure.
The feeling of liberation also came from the fact that I had decided to admit that I am a very average musician, songwriter, singer, producer, graphic designer and entrepeneur. In doing so I allowed myself to slowly get better at all of these things. With my day job being based at radio for a while and then in education this was not an easy thing to do, because I was in an environment that expected me to have all the answers, and to guide others, just like the blind leading the blind. This blogpost describes this particular phenomenon really well.
So in 2008 I released ‘A Little Less Gravity’, a fitting album title.
In sticking with the theme, I subscribed to 'a little less gravity', and a little more of everything else; in other words, incremental improvement. The album had two more tracks on it, had more consistent artwork, the disc cover was printed digitally and wouldn’t start smudging after a year or so, there were two more pages in the booklet, a few more contributions from other musicians including co-written songs, real drums throughout instead of samples, and some of the songs were written more recently than on the first album, so they reflected more who I was now. Altogether, I tackled a few of the more difficult songs I had written in order to challenge myself. So it consolidated the journey and proved that there was growth as a musician, producer, songwriter and so forth.
A particularly memorable event was recording drums for 11 of the tracks in one single day at York Street Studio. Very thrifty, but the poor drummer got hammered!!

No comments:
Post a Comment